Our 12 Part Move Better series is all about educating you. We want to provide a deeper understanding of movement to our readers. In this series, we will pick apart one movement per week that will help you not only move better but; move with a purpose in the gym!
Week 6: The Bench Press is a gym classic. CrossFit or not, this lift is one that 99.999% of us gym folks know about. However, if you understand it better; you will achieve better results.
Breaking down the movement:
- WHY- This movement is great because of the pressing power that can be generated, if you set up properly.
- SAFETY- Two big things to remember are to always have the barbell over your wrists and aim to move the bar in a straight line. If you do this, you’ll use bigger muscles and keep yourself safer.
- SCALING – The best way to learn (i.e. Scale) this lift is to reduce the load on the bar. An empty bar is a great teaching tool.
- EFFICIENCY KEYS – “Bend the Bar” and pull the bar down to your chest. Pulling downward sounds odd but it’ll engage your back muscles (your lats). Aim to come down slower, and explode on the way up.
- MOBILITY – Having the proper mobility in your upper back for the set-up we show will be huge when it comes to this lift. Also, making sure your pectoral (chest) muscles are able to hit that bottom point will dictate how well you can perform this lift.
Stay tuned next week when we break down another brutal; yet simple, CrossFit movement!