Our 12 Part Move Better series is all about educating you. We want to provide a deeper understanding of movement to our readers. In this series, we will pick apart one movement per week that will help you not only move better but; move with a purpose in the gym!
Week 6: The Wall Ball. This is an amazing conditioning tool. We do this so we can improve our overall endurance, increase the strength of our hips and make us live longer. Bone density will increase, testosterone will increase and we will be able to smile better. All of those are true.
Breaking down the movement:
- WHY- This conditioning tool is done because it is a full body movement which means; it’ll suck the oxygen out of your body with ease.
- SAFETY- Three things to keep in mind with this movement are your spinal position, knees tracking out over toes and keeping the ball high in the catch.
- SCALING – We start our WB scaling by reducing the load. If you are having problems with light load and hitting the target; we’ll drop the target.
- EFFICIENCY KEYS – Keeping the ball high is huge. If you catch it high versus 12″ lower; over a workout with 100 WB’s, it’ll save you from moving an additional 10 feet!
- MOBILITY – Squatting mobility is key here, look at your ankles & thoracic spine to keep you in a good squat with the ball held up high.
Stay tuned next week when we break down another fun; yet simple, CrossFit movement!